...nothing is left to guesswork.

Recent Work:
An investigation of connected exceptive constructions and scalarity
Except-phrases and "only" presentation notes
Donkey Anaphora and Variable-Free Semantics

Monday, June 12, 2006

Back to Firefox...waaaaah.

About a month ago, as school was winding down, I switched from Firefox to Safari as my default browser. There was really only one motivation for this: Safari, as a native Cocoa application, has the cool perk of coming with the basic Emacs keybindings. Emacs keybindings, of course, are not impossible to achieve with Firefox, but involve more tweaking of XML and JAR files than I felt comfortable (or patient) with at the time. At the time, Emacs keybindings for free was all I wanted...

A month later, and now I'm ready to switch back. For one, Safari is slow. So slow that within a week, I made a habit of opening up Firefox when I needed to get something from EasyNews or when I wanted to watch something on Google Video. Second reason: I might as well get used to tweaking things, and getting Emacs keybindings in Firefox (or whatever keybindings I want, for that matter) will not be all that hard. The only remaining grievance is that I will have to update toolkit.jar with every update of Firefox. But considering how much time I spend on other silly things, like sitting in my bathrobe reading /., I think I can manage that. Yet another motivation to switch back is that very occasionally, a site will have been designed without keeping Safari in mind. Rarely do I have that problem with Firefox (and while it is still rare that I have that problem with Safari, it is significantly enough more of a problem with Safari than Firefox). (Amtrak's site, for example, freaks out when I use Safari. And many of Blogger's HTML editing tools (by many, it's at most 4) are unavailable for Safari. That's fairly ignorable since I don't use Blogger to update unless I'm away from my computer or I need to do some super fancy HTML (which reminds me, I should look into switching to something much more robust than MacJournal)).

Thankfully, I don't expect switching back to take more than an hour, but one annoyance remains...custom keywords! I had been loving Safari Search in Address Bar, though I knew it wasn't a Safari-specific ability. In fact, Mozilla Custom Keywords does exactly the same thing, but my annoyance is that to modify or add a custom keyword, I'll have to do it through the bookmarks manager in Firefox. Safari just kept a little list of those keywords that I wanted to use without requiring the bookmarking part. I suppose it's a minor difference that I will eventually get used to, and it does make it nice that I will have access to all my bookmarks (something that I could do in SIA but would have had to add each one manually myself) in the address bar via keyword now.

And, I should remember that I went through the pain of switching to the Dvorak keyboard layout when I was in Germany and had recently had my laptop stolen. If I can do that, I think I can deal with toolkit.jar and Bookmark Manager.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home