...nothing is left to guesswork.

Recent Work:
An investigation of connected exceptive constructions and scalarity
Except-phrases and "only" presentation notes
Donkey Anaphora and Variable-Free Semantics

Friday, May 05, 2006

morning angst!

I am weirded out by the whole commencement thing. I don't find it a big deal that I'm getting a piece of paper that says I've jumped through the right hoops for four years. It wasn't that hard. What was hard was being in a foreign country for a year, getting the courage to try to take graduate classes, finding out that graduate classes are really quite a lot of fun, reading actual papers in linguistics, pushing myself to do more than what the degree required me. Because when I think about it, that piece of paper just says that I took the required eight courses for the major, three of those being intro courses (ironically, I think the other five were made up by one advanced class, three grad courses, and philosophy of language...). It doesn't mention how I struggled to understand the basic concepts of semantics early on in my advanced semantics class and how it made me desperate to understand what seemed at least to be really important, and how that search led me to really sort of love semantics and discover that I liked it, I like the questions it asked and how it tried to answer those questions.

3 Comments:

  • At 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations on your graduation (and acceptance at Brown)! And good luck with your math career. :-)

    Luka C.

     
  • At 1:57 AM, Anonymous Celeste said…

    That's the curse of the linguistics student. No one in your family will ever understand what you do or why you're doing it.

    "So, you're a... language student... right?"

    My family seems to be under the impression that a linguist is a grammatician.

     
  • At 3:26 AM, Blogger Emma Cunningham said…

    No one in your family and/or the world, save for other linguists.

    Odds are, when I explain to my family what linguistics is, it will elicit a response like, "So why can't you speak Chinese like an educated young lady and not a six-year-old who's been dropped on the head?"

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home